Tech is the Game Changer for Truckload Shipping Communication with Mitch Violett
Mitch Violett and Joe Lynch discuss why tech is the game changer for truckload communication. In his role as Principal Product Manager at Convoy, Mitch develops solutions that streamline the shipping process and improve communication.
About Mitch Violett
Mitch Violett is a Principal Product Manager at Convoy focused on building products to increase the efficiency of delivering freight and improve the experience for everyone involved. Prior to joining Convoy, Mitch worked in a variety of product and engineering leadership roles at Amazon, Boeing, and the Department of Defense. Mitch has an MBA from the University of Washington and a Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering from Montana State University.
Convoy is the nation’s most efficient digital freight network. They move thousands of truckloads around the country each day through an optimized, connected network of carriers, saving money for shippers, increasing earnings for drivers, and eliminating carbon waste for the planet. Convoy uses technology and data to solve problems of waste and inefficiency in the $800B trucking industry, which generates over 72 million metric tons of wasted CO2 emissions from empty trucks. Fortune 500 shippers like Anheuser-Busch, P&G, Niagara, and Unilever trust Convoy to lower costs, increase logistics efficiency, and achieve environmental sustainability targets.
Key Takeaways: Tech is the Game Changer for Truckload Shipping Communication
- In the discussion, Mitch describes the communication challenges in the four phases of the shipping process. Mitch also reviewed and discussed ways that many common communication problems can be solved using technology. Technology can be used to automate routine, mundane activities, which frees people up to manage the tasks that require the human touch.
- Phase 1 – Quoting and Booking
- Typically in the quoting and booking the shipment phase, the communication involves a lot of back and forth discussion and negotiation. As a digital freight network, Convoy is able to provide an instant guaranteed quote, which greatly reduces the time and hassle. Additionally, Convoy provides an automated quote benchmark, which compares the bid to the market. With the automated quote benchmark, the shipper knows whether the quote provided by Convoy is above or below market rates.
- Phase 2 – Pre-Transit
- The pre-transit phase is critically important and is often overlooked. During this phase, appointments and docks are scheduled, which can make the load more attractive (or unattractive if not managed) to partner carriers. The communication during this process varies greatly based on the shipping and receiving locations. The Convoy team meets shippers and receivers where they are, meaning they provide the communication that best works whether it is automation, TMS, email, or phone calls.
- Phase 3 – In-Transit
- When the shipment is in-transit the communication challenges vary greatly based on who is moving the freight. For carriers and 3PLs who don’t use visibility solutions, the communication is often managed with check calls to the drivers, which is not the most precise way of tracking a shipment. 3PLs often ask drivers to download a tracking app to their phone, but compliance is a problem. Convoy provides powerful incentives, including quick pay without a factoring fee to drivers who use their app. The use of the app along with predictive analytics (AI) enables Convoy to provide true real-time visibility and very accurate ETAs.
- Phase 4 – Closing out the Shipment
- After the shipment delivers, there is still a lot of communication that must take place to close out the shipment. Proof of delivery, detention, lumper pay, and unplanned accessorials must be communicated quickly and efficiently to the shipper and receiver. Since documents must sometimes be scanned and emailed, there are delays and errors. Convoy uses its app to automatically record, communicate, and pay detention. Additionally, drivers using the Convoy app must provide the documentation to close out the shipment and get QuickPay.
Learn More: Tech is the Game Changer for Truckload Shipping Communication
Convoy Promotion – Up to $3K off truckload shipping