Lauren M. Beagen and Joe Lynch discuss big changes at the port brought on by the Ocean Shipping Reform Act of 2022 (OSRA 2022). Lauren is maritime industry expert & lawyer who specializes in translating FMC regulations and breaking down supply chain silos.
About Lauren Beagen
Lauren M. Beagen is a seasoned maritime attorney and the founder of Squall Strategies, LLC and The Maritime Professor™. Ms. Beagen is often called on for her industry expertise by notable trade networks, including features on CNBC and FreightWaves. Ms. Beagen has extensive experience in oceanborne commerce and maritime law, with specific emphasis on maritime transportation, Shipping Act issues, supply chain management, international antitrust law, and port and terminal operations. Notable appointments include work in the federal government as Attorney-Advisor (International Affairs) in the Office of the General Counsel at the Federal Maritime Commission and work at a public port authority as Maritime Project Manager for the Port of Boston at the Massachusetts Port Authority. Ms. Beagen received a Bachelor’s degree in International Political Science and International Studies from Hope College, a Master of Marine Affairs degree from the University of Rhode Island, and a Juris Doctorate from Roger Williams University School of Law. She is an avid sailor and recreational fisherman and holds a US Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Credential (50 ton) for Great Lakes and Inland Waters.
About Squall Strategies
Squall Strategies is a maritime consulting and legal solutions company and offers a wide range of consulting services to serve a variety of businesses and clients. Whether you’re a small, local business or a multinational corporation, we can help you reach new levels of success. Squall Strategies is available for advice and consultation on Federal Maritime Commission related matters, advice and consultation on supply chain and ocean freight movement, potential federal regulatory impacts on your business, federal regulatory review and analysis, general Federal Maritime Commission related inquiries, advice and consultation on demurrage, tariff/schedule reviews, and supply chain industry insight.
About The Maritime Professor
The Maritime Professorᵀᴹ is an e-learning/educational based company on all things maritime and supply chain – we provide non-legal business coaching, e-content, trainings/webinars, participation in advisory boards, leadership recruitment, and company speaking/education engagements. Interested in learning more about the ocean side of things? Follow The Maritime Professorᵀᴹ and sign up for email alerts to be alerted when new courses are released. Or follow along with weekly supply chain industry explanations by subscribing to their podcast, By Land and By Sea – an attorney breaking down the week in supply chain, presented by the Maritime Professorᵀᴹ (https://themaritimeprofessor.buzzsprout.com).
Key Takeaways: Big Changes at the Port
- Lauren M. Beagen is a seasoned maritime attorney and the founder of Squall Strategies, LLC and The Maritime Professor™.
- In the podcast interview, Lauren and Joe discuss the big changes at the port – changes brought on by the Ocean Shipping Reform Act of 2022 (OSRA 2022).
- OSRA 22 was signed into law by President Biden on June 16, 2022.
- Lauren and Joe discussed the following 3 provisions of OSRA 2022:
- Unreasonable Refusal to Deal – A provision that requires that an ocean common carrier shall not unreasonably refuse to deal or negotiate with respect to vessel space accommodation.
- Demurrage and Detention Billing Requirements – A new rule that seeks to provide more clarity, consistency, structure and punctuality to the demurrage and detention billing practices used by vessel operating common carriers (VOCCs), non-vessel-operating common carriers (NVOCCs) and marine terminal operators (MTOs).
- Unfair or Unjust Discriminatory Methods – The Federal Maritime Commission (FMC) will define what is unfair or unjust discriminatory methods used by carriers regarding concerns and complaints by exporters and small shippers.
- Squall Strategies is a boutique maritime consulting and legal solutions company and offers a wide range of consulting services to serve a variety of businesses and clients.
- Squall Strategies provide a broad range of services and solutions to help organizations facilitate change, achieve their vision, and optimize performance and productivity. Not all problems they encounter are legal, but their legal experience gives them a deeper understanding of the industry.
Learn More About Big Changes at the Port
The Maritime Professor on LinkedIn
Solving the Port Problem with Lauren Beagen