About Gordon Downes
Prior to starting NYSHEX with the mission to enable more reliable shipping, Gordon spent 12 years with a carrier at Maersk and 3 years with a shipper at SABMiller (now ABInbev). He holds an MBA from Cambridge University in the UK, and degrees in economics and law from the University of Natal in South Africa.
NYSHEX is the leader in two-way committed contracts. Our neutral exchange unites shippers and carriers with a predictable, efficient, and accountable system for global commerce. They are building a better tomorrow; they are a truly revolutionary company that’s transforming logistics for good. They are providing market infrastructure to help restore trust and reliability and make global trade work so everyone wins.
Key Takeaways: The NYSHEX Story
- Gordon Downes is the Co-founder and CEO of NYSHEX, a company that exists to help restore trust and reliability to global trade so everybody wins.
- In the podcast interview, Gordon and Joe discussed Gordon’s personal and entrepreneurial story along with the story of how NYSHEX was founded.
- Founded in 2015, NYSHEX is a digital trading platform, which enables shippers and ocean carriers to enter into digital forward contracts.
- NYSHEX has developed a standardized contract template that can be used by both ocean shippers and ocean carriers.
- NYSHEX provides shippers and carriers with an independent monitoring service to ensure compliance with the terms of the transaction, issue determinations of fault, and facilitate collection of payment or liquidated damages when appropriate.
- NYSHEX ensures guaranteed rates and space allocation from six of the top ten global carriers, which drastically increases contract reliability between both parties.
- NYSHEX’s platform also offers real-time data analytics, allowing shippers to view and monitor all outstanding contracts from various carriers on a single platform.
- NYSHEX is the leader in two-way committed contracts and a neutral exchange that unites shippers and carriers with a predictable, efficient, and accountable system for global commerce.
- NYSHEX helps shippers improve supply chain reliability and landed cost certainty through committed ocean contracts.
- NYSHEX helps carriers maximize vessel utilization and provide a better experience to their customers.