About Doug Estrada
Douglas Estrada is a Senior Director of Supply Chain at Walmart Stores Inc. A graduate of Doane University in Crete, NE. Doug Estrada has 30 plus years of experience in Supply Chain with the last 20 years of supporting Walmart Stores, Inc. Doug has held various supply chain roles with the Walmart Private Fleet as well as working Internationally for Walmart in Central America in setting up the Retail Transportation Supply Chain Network for Walmart in several Central American Countries. Doug currently leads the Great Lakes / Upper Midwest Transportation Region for Walmart overseeing 15 Transportation Distribution Centers with over 2000 Walmart Drivers that support Stores and Clubs in that part of the country. Doug has been a board member of the Washington DC Metro Police Foundation since 2016 and sits on the Advisory Board for Truckers Against Trafficking. Doug and his wife Lisa of 31 years reside in Bentonville, AR and have three adult children.
Sixty years ago, Sam Walton started a single mom-and-pop shop and transformed it into the world’s biggest retailer. Since those founding days, one thing has remained consistent: our commitment to helping our customers save money so they can live better. Today, we’re reinventing the shopping experience and our associates are at the heart of it. When you join our Walmart family of brands (Sam’s Club, Bonobos, Moosejaw and many more!), you’ll play a crucial role in shaping the future of retail, improving millions of lives around the world. This is that place where your passions meet purpose. Join our family and build a career you’re proud of.
Key Takeaways: Walmart Transportation
- Douglas Estrada is a Senior Director of Supply Chain at Walmart, the largest retailer in the world.
- In the podcast interview, Doug and Joe discuss Walmart transportation along with Walmart’s vast network of carriers and brokers.
- The Average Walmart Supercenter receives the following in
- 20-40 Walmart truckloads (private fleet)
- 200 shipment from UPS or other carrier
- Walmart private fleet consists of:
- 12K plus tractors
- 65-80K trailers
- 13K plus drivers
- Walmart is hiring for drivers, distribution, and fulfillment: www.drive4walmart.com
- Walmart is not only the largest retailer, they are also one of the largest shippers and their best practices often become industry best practices.
- Walmart pioneered the use of the OTIF metric, which stands for on-time and in-full – meaning the shipment arrived on-time and everything that was supposed to deliver was included with the shipment (in-full).
- Walmart Inc. engages in the operation of retail, wholesale, and other units worldwide. The company operates through three segments: Walmart U.S., Walmart International, and Sam’s Club.
- Walmart operates supercenters, supermarkets, hypermarkets, warehouse clubs, cash and carry stores, and discount stores; membership-only warehouse clubs; ecommerce websites, such as walmart.com, walmart.com.mx, walmart.ca, flipkart.com, and samsclub.com; and mobile commerce applications.
- Walmart operates approximately 10,500 stores and various ecommerce websites under 46 banners in 24 countries.
- The company was formerly known as Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. and changed its name to Walmart Inc. in February 2018. The company was founded in 1945 and is based in Bentonville, Arkansas.