The Kodiak Story with Don Burnette
About Don Burnette
Don Burnette is the Co-Founder & CEO of Kodiak Robotics. Don is one of the autonomous vehicle industry’s true pioneers, with more than ten years experience working on self-driving software development. He began his career as a software tech lead for the Google self-driving car project, the predecessor to Waymo. After over five years at Google, Don left the company to co-found Otto, the first self-driving truck startup, which was acquired by Uber. After nearly two years as Software Technical Lead at Uber, Don left to co-found Kodiak. Don earned a BS in Electrical Engineering and Mathematics and a Master’s degree in Physics from the University of Florida. He also earned a Master’s degree in Robotics from Carnegie Mellon University.
About Kodiak Robotics
Kodiak Robotics was founded in 2018 to develop autonomous technology that carries freight forward—so people, partners, and the planet thrive. Kodiak is building and operating self-driving trucks designed to operate on highway routes, making the freight industry safer and more efficient. Kodiak has developed the industry’s most advanced technology stack purpose-built specifically for long-haul trucks. Kodiak delivers freight daily for its customers between Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston, operating autonomously on the highway portion of the route, and also provides service between Dallas-Fort Worth and Austin and Dallas-Fort Worth and San Antonio.
Key Takeaways: The Kodiak Story
- Don Burnette is the Co-Founder and CEO of Kodiak Robotics, developer of the trucking industry’s most advanced self-driving technology.
- In the podcast interview, Don and Joe discuss Kodiak Robotics and Don’s entrepreneurial journey.
- The Kodiak Driver is an industry-leading self-driving technology stack, purpose-built for driverless trucks and end-to-end delivery.
- Kodiak self-driving vehicles deliver significant cost savings while enabling increased asset utilization and revenue generation.
- Exempt from hours-of-service regulations, self-driving trucks will be able to move goods nearly 24/7, delivering freight faster than ever before.
- The Kodiak Driver never speeds, gets distracted or drowsy, and always delivers reliably, safely, and on time, every time.
- Self-driving technology is the solution for fleets facing capacity constraints due to driver shortages and turnover while also reducing recruitment, training, and retention costs.
- Kodiak currently delivers freight daily for its customers between Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas and Houston, operating autonomously on the highway portion of the route.