The State Of The Industry with George Abernathy
George Abernathy and Joe Lynch discuss the state of the industry. George is the President of Emerge, one of the fastest-growing startups in the U.S. that is transforming the $800 billion transportation and logistics industry with its digital freight marketplace platform.
About George Abernathy
George Abernathy, Emerge President and Board Member, has more than 30 years of supply chain and technology experience. Notably, George is the former President of leading industry publication FreightWaves where he was responsible for all revenue and commercial efforts, including SaaS, media, and virtual & physical events. George has a breadth of direct industry background, having held executive leadership positions at Transplace, J.B. Hunt, Logistics.com and Sabre Logistics.
Emerge, based in Scottsdale, AZ, is one of the fastest-growing startups in the U.S. and is transforming the $800 billion transportation and logistics industry with its digital freight marketplace platform. Emerge’s award-winning marketplace provides access to direct capacity and live market conditions helping shippers and carriers make the strongest, most beneficial decisions when procuring domestic freight. Launched in 2017, Emerge is backed by Greycroft, New Road Capital, 9Yards Capital, and the founder of GlobalTranz.
Key Takeaways: The State Of The Industry
- George Abernathy is the President and a Board Member of Emerge. Emerge is reinventing freight procurement by providing access to benchmarked rates and thousands of trusted partners to maximize cost-savings.In the podcast interview, George and Joe discuss 3 important trends that are impacting the logistics and transportation industry.
- Trend #1 – Technology is separating the industry between companies that are investing heavily in technology and those that are unable or unwilling to make technology investments. The tech-centric players are lowering their costs, improving the customer experience, and redeploying headcount from manual functions as artificial intelligence (AI) and automation perform the clerk work.
- Trend #2 – End-to-End visibility (from order to cash) is enabling logistics and supply chain professionals to make better decisions. While visibility is great, the ultimate goal is to improved collaboration and higher profits. “Where’s my money?” is just as important as “Where’s my stuff?”
- Trend #3 – 3rd party logistics companies are increasingly developing specializations or niches. As shippers and supply chain companies demand expect (demand) more from their 3PLs, companies are investing in areas where they can be most competitive. An inch wide and a mile deep is waaay better than a mile wide and an inch deep.
- Emerge welcomes George Abernathy as its new President. George has more than 30 years of supply chain and transportation industry leadership experience with carrier, broker, and technology companies. George will help guide the company to the next level of success.
- Emerge uses a network model, which becomes increasingly valuable to users (carriers, shippers, agents) as it scales.
- Emerge is hiring: Emerge Careers
- Emerge also has a tremendous Agent Program
Learn More About The State Of The Industry
The Emerge Story with Andrew Leto
Building a Freight Juggernaut Again with Michael Leto
The Freight RFP Process is Broken – Let’s Fix It with Maggie Petrovic
Emerge Levels Up with Michael Leto