A Better Solution for SMB Shippers with Ryan Collier
Ryan Collier and Joe Lynch discuss a better solution for SMB shippers. Small and midsize business shippers face unique challenges. SMB shippers often feel overlooked and undervalued by 3PL and brokers.
About Ryan Collier
Ryan Collier is a Principal Designer at Convoy focused on understanding the problem space and designing solutions to meet the needs of transportation professionals. Prior to joining Convoy, Ryan designed and led design teams in education, healthcare, and government services. Ryan earned a Master of Science in Human-Centered Design and Engineering from the University of Washington. When not dreaming up new ways to help shippers, Ryan can be found dreaming up a new guitar lick or chasing his two kids around the backyard.
Convoy is the nation’s most efficient digital freight network. They move thousands of truckloads around the country each day through an optimized, connected network of carriers, saving money for shippers, increasing earnings for drivers, and eliminating carbon waste for the planet. Convoy uses technology and data to solve problems of waste and inefficiency in the $800B trucking industry, which generates over 72 million metric tons of wasted CO2 emissions from empty trucks. Fortune 500 shippers like Anheuser-Busch, P&G, Niagara, and Unilever trust Convoy to lower costs, increase logistics efficiency, and achieve environmental sustainability targets.
Key Takeaways: A Better Solution for SMB Shippers
- SMB shippers often face the following challenges when it comes to truckload shipping:
- Lack of process or a very manual process for getting freight quotes, booking, tracking, and paying for truckload shipments.
- Distrust of transportation providers and a belief that they are paying too much, not getting access to the same rates as larger shippers.
- Overpaying for truckload shipments.
- No insights or business intelligence on their freight spend.
- No dedicated logistics or transportation person internally because their smaller shipping volume doesn’t justify the investment
- Ignored by many transportation companies who are not interested in smaller shippers.
- By utilizing a digital freight network provider like Convoy, SMB shippers can streamline their shipping process while reducing costs.
- In the interview, Ryan described the following advantages that SMB shipper gain when they use Convoy:
- Instant truckload freight quote from Convoy’s website with a competitive price that is the same whether the shipper is Walmart or the corner store.
- Access to a huge carrier network that has fewer freight claims and fewer accidents. Because Convoy is a preferred shipper (tons of freight, great app, and free quick pay) they attract the best carriers.
- Superior customer experience enabled by industry-leading technology.
- Monthly business review to discuss shipper metrics and carrier performance.
- Phone app that makes tracking and tracing easy for both shippers and carriers.
- Real-time visibility.
- Additionally, Convoy is the preferred choice for many trucking companies because they have lots of good freight and a great phone app that streamlines the process. If carriers download the Convoy app to their phone, they will get quick pay with no factoring cost.