Why Your Truck Needs Wings with Dan Burrows
Dan Burrows and Joe Lynch discuss why your truck needs wings. Dan is the founder and CEO of TruckLabs, a trucking technology company with a mission to transform the industry through a series of smart hardware and software product offerings.
About Dan Burrows
Daniel Burrows is the Founder and CEO of TruckLabs, which was founded in 2015 through Daniel‘s graduate work at Stanford University. Daniel was born in Baltimore, Maryland and received a Bachelor of Science degree and Master of Science degree in Physics from Imperial College in London. Daniel also received his M.B.A from Stanford University. Daniel is a reformed Venture Capitalist and management consultant and has worked with six different startups prior to TruckLabs, three of which were acquired. When Daniel started TruckLabs, it was vital to gain an intuitive understanding of how trucking works. After driving millions of miles, it was apparent that the truck and the driver should be at the heart of how to approach innovation and build products. Daniel also believes it’s the area that’s top of mind for their customers and the area that still has the most room for improvement.
TruckLabs is a trucking technology company with a mission to transform the industry through a series of smart hardware and software product offerings. They’re a team of highly experienced software developers, hardware engineers, and data scientists who are serious about solving the biggest challenges in the trucking industry from understanding and improving your fuel economy and profitability, to hiring and retaining the best drivers to identifying early indicators of maintenance issues. By building connected devices and using modern data science techniques, they derive key insights into opportunities for innovation. TruckLabs’ customers include UPS, Ryder, and a host of smaller fleets and their flagship technology, TruckWings has already covered over 300 million miles across the USA and Canada.
Key Takeaways: Why Your Truck Needs Wings
- Dan Burrows is the Founder and CEO of TruckLabs, a trucking technology company with a mission to transform the industry through a series of smart hardware and software product offerings.
- In the podcast interview, Dan talks about TruckWings, one of Trucklabs‘ very successful product offerings.
- TruckWings are a tractor-mounted active aerodynamic device that automatically closes the gap between the cab and the trailer at highway speeds to reduce drag, improve handling, and save fuel. TruckWings require zero driver input to operate.
- Customer pilots and independent testing have demonstrated real-world fuel savings up to 6% across a wide range of equipment and fleet operations.
- TruckWings works by automatically deploying panels from the back of the cab to cover the tractor-trailer gap when a truck is at highway speeds. The panels automatically retract at slow speeds, allowing for trailer clearance in turns