Gary Allen and Joe Lynch discuss automating the warehouse. Gary is Vice President of Supply Chain Excellence at Ryder System, Inc., a leader in supply chain, dedicated transportation and fleet management solutions, that has been recognized by FORTUNE magazine as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies® for 2023.
About Gary Allen
Gary Allen is Vice President of Supply Chain Excellence at Ryder System, Inc. Mr. Allen for leading sales support and operational excellence functions across Ryder including new offer development, solutions design, program management, quality management and re-engineering disciplines. He has more than 25 years of experience in supply chain management, logistics outsourcing and professional services. Mr. Allen’s areas of expertise range from process improvement, logistics outsourcing, new product development, business transformation, systems selection/implementation, operational due diligence, business performance improvement and overall supply chain strategy. Prior to Ryder, Mr. Allen was the leader of Ernst & Young’s logistics advisory practice. Prior to Ernst & Young, he spent seven years with DHL Supply Chain as Vice President of product Development & Innovation as well as Vice President, Solutions, for the company’s Automotive, Chemical, and Industrial business unit. He was responsible for product development, solution design, operations excellence, and process improvement disciplines.
About Ryder System, Inc.
Ryder System, Inc. (NYSE: R) is a leading logistics and transportation company. It provides supply chain, dedicated transportation, and fleet management solutions, including full service leasing, rental, and maintenance, used vehicle sales, professional drivers, transportation services, freight brokerage, warehousing and distribution, e-commerce fulfillment, and last mile delivery services, to some of the world’s most-recognized brands. Ryder provides services throughout the United States, Mexico, and Canada. In addition, Ryder manages nearly 239,000 commercial vehicles and operates more than 330 warehouses, encompassing more than 80 million square feet. Ryder is regularly recognized for its industry-leading practices in third-party logistics, technology-driven innovations, commercial vehicle maintenance, environmental stewardship, corporate social responsibility, world-class safety and security programs, military veteran recruitment initiatives, and the hiring of a diverse workforce. www.ryder.com
Key Takeaways: Automating the Warehouse
- Gary Allen is Vice President of Supply Chain Excellence at Ryder System, Inc.
- In the podcast interview, Gary and Joe discuss automating the warehouse – a subject that Gary and his team at Ryder know better than virtually anyone else in the industry.
- Ryder is the only supply chain logistics provider to offer an end-to-end portfolio of solutions that includes warehousing & distribution, transportation logistics, e-commerce fulfillment, last mile delivery, reverse logistics, and innovative technology.
- Ryder operates 400 warehouses in the USA, Mexico, and Canada, with 160 of those locations managing e-commerce shipments.
- Ryder has made significant investments in acquisitions, information technology, and automation to maintain their leadership position in the warehousing space.
- Warehousing is an increasingly important part of the supply chain because of the growth of e-commerce and rising customer expectations, but warehouse work is tough and there is a labor shortage.
- Ryder investments in warehouse automation has reduced their costs, improved their output & quality, and created better jobs for the people who work within their warehouses.
- Ryder provides supply chain, dedicated transportation, and fleet management solutions, including full service leasing, rental, and maintenance, used vehicle sales, professional drivers, transportation services, freight brokerage, warehousing and distribution, e-commerce fulfillment, and last mile delivery services, to some of the world’s most-recognized brands.