The Perfect Partner for the Owner-Operator with Mandy Morrow
Mandy Morrow and Joe Lynch discuss the perfect partner for the owner-operator. Owner-operators in the trucking business face a myriad of challenges including cash flow issues, high fuel costs, access to good freight, business development, and growing their business.
About Mandy Morrow
Mandy Morrow is the Plus Power Regional Manager at USA Truck. Mandy comes from a trucking family and she grew up in Van Buren, Arkansas not far from USA Truck’s headquarters. As a young girl, Mandy was fascinated with the big rigs and even got to ride along in the tractor when her father drove. She was destined and determined to get a job at USA Truck. Mandy got her wish and since she joined USA Truck 16 years ago, she has held jobs in appointment scheduling, load planning, fleet management, operations training, carrier management, account management, outside sales, and many more. In her current role as Plus Power Regional Manager, Mandy works closely with owner-operators, helping them book quality freight, plan that freight, and maximize revenue per truck. Mandy takes great pride in her work and is passionate about helping owner-operators build their business.
About USA Truck
USA Truck celebrated its 35th year in operation on May 4, 2018. The company got its start in 1983 as Crawford Produce, Inc. (CPI) with fewer than 10 tractors in operation. CPI was incorporated under the name USA Truck in September 1986 and purchased by management in January 1989. The initial public offering of our common stock was completed in March 1992. Today, with more than 2,000 driving team members, USA Truck is regarded as one of the nation’s largest over-the-road Truckload carriers. Their distinctive white tractors and trailers bearing the bar and star logo is an ode to our nation’s military from one of our founders, a former military aviator. Under that banner, the company provides capacity solutions to a wide customer base throughout North America. USA Truck provides comprehensive capacity solutions to a broad and diverse customer base throughout North America. Their Trucking and USAT Logistics divisions blend an extensive portfolio of asset and asset-light services, offering a balanced approach to supply chain management, including customized truckload, dedicated contract carriage, intermodal, and third-party logistics freight management services.
Key Takeaways: The Perfect Partner for the Owner-Operator
- In the interview, Mandy explains that trucking owner-operators face many challenges including, but not limited to:
- Getting good freight and getting away from spot market freight.
- Over-dependence on freight brokers for finding good freight.
- Cash flow issues are common as owner-operators get paid in 30 days and their expenses for maintenance, gas, lodging, and food while on the road is expensive.
- Difficult to collect payments and manage their business while on the road.
- Growing their business, especially for owner-operators who want to own multiple trucks.
- Wasted time waiting to get loaded or unloaded.
- USA Truck’s Plus Program is designed to help owner-operators. Some of the benefits of the program include:
- Allows carriers with their own authority to gain access to the entire fleet of USA Truck trailers and our vast freight network.
- Flexible pay options: 10-day terms, direct deposit, quick pay and more.
- One of the most generous fuel programs in the country.
- Optimal on-duty/driving time with substantial drop-and-hook freight preplanned 24 hours in advance.
- Maximized daily gross revenue production via increased preplanned turns per week.
- Year-round consistent volume with access to large national customers
- 24/7 dispatch and trailer maintenance support.
- A team to handle the paperwork and pay the invoices so drivers can focus on building their business.
- Zero credit risk with customers.
- A true partner who respects drivers and values the contributions they make.