What Will Tomorrow’s Freight Broker Do with Ben Buchanan
Ben Buchanan and Joe Lynch talk about what tomorrow’s freight broker will do. Ben is VP of Account Management at Loadsmart, which is transforming the future of freight, they leverage artificial intelligence, machine learning and strategic partnerships to automate how freight is priced, booked and shipped.
About Ben Buchanan
Ben Buchanan is VP of Account Management at Loadsmart, leading a team of account managers and sales representatives focused on growing relationships with enterprise and small/medium enterprise shippers by providing additional value to address their unique challenges. Ben has a decade of experience in freight brokerage across various leadership roles, building best-in-class teams for high growth and scalability while delivering for the customer. He earned his logistics stripes at GlobalTranz, learning the business and riding the fast growth wave to impactful leadership positions, and under Buchanan’s leadership at Loadsmart the account sales team has grown in headcount by 860% and in revenue by 578% (1H YoY 2020 – 2021). Ben holds a BA in Political Science from Arizona State University and currently sits on the Board of Directors for the American Charter School Foundation. Prior to GlobalTranz he worked as an educator and high school basketball coach.
Transforming the future of freight, Loadsmart leverages artificial intelligence, machine learning and strategic partnerships to automate how freight is priced, booked and shipped. Pairing advanced technologies with deep-seated industry expertise, Loadsmart fuels growth, simplifies operational complexity and bolsters efficiency for carriers and shippers alike.
Key Takeaways: What Will Tomorrow’s Freight Broker Do
- Ben Buchanan is the Vice President of Account Management at Loadsmart, a digital freight brokerage that leverages cutting-edge technology and strategic partnerships to help shippers and carriers move more with less.
- The freight brokerage space is rapidly transforming as digital freight brokerage companies like Loadsmart deploy technology to automate processes, reduce cost per load, and deliver a superior customer experience.
- In the interview, Ben describes 5 things that freight brokers will be expected to do in the very near future. Of course, some of the industry leaders like Loadsmart are delivering these innovations today.
- Instantaneous freight quotes created by a dynamic pricing tool that delivers the right price with guaranteed capacity. No more back and forth emails and phone calls haggling over pricing. Dynamic pricing powered by artificial intelligence provides an instant rate that reflects the most updated market intelligence.
- Mode optimization automatically included in each quote. Mode optimization has traditionally been promised, but not delivered because the analysis was completed by people who didn’t have the data or tools. Now, mode options with instantly bookable rates across modes including rail, LTL, PTL, and FTL, enable shippers to optimize shipments based on sustainability, cost, and expediency.
- Data insights that enable shippers to learn from not just their own data and insights — but from each other. To achieve best in class performance, shippers need to be able to compare their KPIs to their industry peers. Additionally, brokers must be able to analyze shipment data and provide actionable data insights that drive operational improvement across the entire shipping function.
- Rate transparency that empowers the shipper to know exactly what they are paying for. As digital freight brokers automate and streamline the shipping process that was traditionally managed manually, the value added has changed. In the new model, freight brokers won’t be rewarded financially for getting a big spread (cost of truck vs price to shipper). Instead, new pricing models and incentives have evolved that align the shipper and broker.
- Shift to digital means that freight brokers will need to find new ways to add value to both shippers and carriers. To deliver a superior customer experience, freight brokerages will need to provide the best of tech and the best of people.
Learn More About What Will Tomorrow’s Freight Broker Do
Beyond Cost Per Load with Felipe Capella